Flashback to 20 years ago, when we had to write letters or telegrams, stand up to change the channel, or read tons of books in the library just to learn more about a favorite sport or something. Would you say life is a lot easier today because of modern technology? Definitely! With the advent of modern technology, there’s better communication through cell phones, and convenience because of remote controls, and ultimately easy access to new knowledge because of the internet. But so has the challenges in business, career, and life in general, right?
Currently, the emergence of life coaching has encouraged people to find help in organizing their life – their relationships, their businesses, careers and what not. People who are always on the go who seem to lose their way, now have a means to get back on track. They now have a professional best friend who is tasked to make their lives better than good.
But what is life coaching, really? How does it work? Does it work for everybody? And who needs life coaches? Let’s read on and find out.
Life Coaching Defined
Life coaching is basically a profession that involves a process wherein a certified life coach formulates specific solutions to the problems and needs of his clients. They play the role of a guide to assist you in achieving your goals in specific areas of your life. They help you become the best that you can be and move you closer to your dreams.
Newsweek writes this about life coaches: “Part consultant, part motivational speaker, part therapist, and part rent-a-friend, coaches work with managers, entrepreneurs, and just plain folks, helping them define and achieve their goals, career, personal, or most often, both.”
Why Work With Them
So you ask yourself, “But I’m an achiever. I’m thriving. I’m okay. Why hire a life coach?” This is why. Molly Bowman, MS, LPC says, “Therapy can accelerate the things you are already trying to do.” If counselors help people learn to deal with his past and recover from past hurts, life coaches help people better their normally good lives, push achievers to become over-achievers. Artists, business owners, leaders, actors, and homemakers can all benefit from the expertise of a life coach. They hire one to help them with:
- Personal growth. A life coach can help you become more determined and confident about your decisions. Life coaching for personal growth also serves to improve the way you think of yourself and the things you can achieve. Establishing work/life balance, time management, and finding your life purpose are things that life coaching address for personal growth.
- Starting or growing a business. You may have a thriving business and it’s doing fine, but a life coach can guide you in making it at the top of the list. There’s a lot of modern business models and strategies that can be found on the internet and you don’t have the time to learn them yourself. Let your life coach do the research, find the tools and guide you through the implementation of these new strategies so you’ll be ahead of the others.
- Establishing powerful relationships. Building rapport is one of the most popular services offered by life coaches. They are with you in figuring out why it’s been difficult for you to make friends with the people you want to belong with and make connections with. They tell you what you’ve been doing wrong, show you some new and better strategies your ideal partner in life! Yes, they do!
- Quitting bad habits. The process of life coaching also aids in drinking and smoking cessation by encouraging you to open up why you have been doing it and how you can break it. He then discusses with you the essential benefits of breaking bad habits and how you can successfully stop them for life. “Happy people do things differently. They make their emotional wellbeing a priority and practice daily and weekly habits that help them create joy, happiness and satisfaction in their lives.” says Dr. Chantal Gagnon PhD LMHC.
- Living a successful and happy life. Because the ideal life coach provides you with the strength and the confidence to face your fears, break your barriers, and live outside of your comfort zone, he can help you become one of the most successful people in your community and in the world. Happiness? Yes, he does that for you, when you get what you want and you’re loving what you have, then you got it!
According to Dr. Jamie Long, Psy.D., “Therapy isn’t for everyone and some folks simply need a cheerleader in their corner with practical tips for successful living. That is where life coaching comes in.” Life coaching CAN help you in all areas of your life where you want improvement. Its concepts and principles can be applied to just about everything. It is effective. It is reliable. You deserve one for yourself. Think about it.